- Approximately 82,588 children in New York are homeschooled
- Homeschool “graduates” do not receive a high school diploma
- Compulsory attendance for children ages 6-16
- Letter of intent to homeschool must be filed by July 1st with school district or within 14 days of beginning to homeschool
- Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) submitted by August 15th or 4 weeks after acknowledgement from school district
- Quarterly reports and annual assessments are required
- Standardized testing required
For additional details please refer to New York State Education Department Home Instruction Regulations.
Common Core Status
The New York State Board of Regents formally adopted the Common Core for New York in January 2011, and has now prescribed some of the most detailed lesson plans of any state.
Something missing? Have the facts changed? Let us know by filling out this form: